phone icon 888.881.1139 M-F: 6am - 7pm PST · Sat & Sun 9am - 1pm PST
Menu Toogle menu

How to Correct Information on Your Passport

LegalNature can help you update your passport if the name you are using no longer matches the one listed on your passport or if other information on your passport needs to be updated. The forms the government will request from LegalNature change depending on how long ago your passport was issued and your situation. For instance, if the passport you need to update was issued less than a year ago, we will complete a data correction form for you. We walk you through this process by gathering only the necessary information from you, such as your name, contact information, details regarding your existing passport, and any required evidence documenting your name change or information update.

If you are correcting a data error (e.g. date of birth, sex, or place of birth) or printing error for a passport issued within one year, the new corrected passport you receive will be valid for 10 years from the date of issuance. If the error is reported for a passport issued more than one year ago, then the new corrected passport will only be valid until the expiration of the original passport.

If you need to change the sex marker on your passport, then in addition to the usual information required for applying for a new passport, we will complete the relevant form and collect the following information from you:

  • Proof of identity – This is normally a driver’s license (not temporary or learner’s permit), a previous U.S. passport book, a previous U.S. passport card, a Certificate of Naturalization, a Certificate of Citizenship, military identification, or a government identification card. Also include a photocopy of the front and back of your proof of identity. Your identification must resemble your current appearance.
  • Proof of citizenship
  • A passport photo that resembles your current appearance
  • A medical certification indicating that you have undergone appropriate clinical treatment for transitioning or are in the process of transitioning. Your doctor will decide what is considered “appropriate clinical treatment,” which must follow established medical guidelines. This certification must come from a licensed physician, not a therapist, psychologist, nurse, or other health practitioner. You need this certification even if your identification and birth certificate have already been updated.
  • Proof of legal name change (if applicable)